Saturday, October 10, 2009

Security Group Study

Calling anyone interested in security in the Washington DC area! I am trying to get a group together to have a group study effort to sharpen our general security and pentesting skills. I plan on finding a place where we can meet and go through the Offensive Security Metasploit Unleashed course. I think it will be a good way to get an introduction into general security as well as pentesting, but it will also help some who may know this already sharpen or help keep their skills sharp. I have not decided on a place to have this yet. I would like it to be as central as possible to the metro area so its as convenient as possible for everyone interested. If you have ideas for meeting places let me know.

The fee for this group effort will be $4 donation to Jonny Long's Hackers for Charity per the request of Offensive Security. Depending on the venue we may need to purchase drinks/food or some other customer item for the example of a Starbucks. If we can find a free place, that's great. I would like to have Internet available if possible, but hey, we're hackers I'm sure we can figure that one out :)

What do I need to participate?

Technically nothing. If you want to get the most out of it, being that this will be a meeting where a desktop will probably not be available, you should have a laptop that can run some virtual machines. The Offensive Security group has the requirements for the class here:

Lab Requirements

With that said, I have my laptop and one other I can bring. If anyone has extra laptops they can bring to the group meeting for people to use while they are there, that would be great. It will be more than just the lab as discussions will be a majority of the time. Thus, even if you don't have the gear, you will still learn a ton.

I will post again when more details are available. If you are interested please let me know by emailing me at pleasedontspam-cshaffergmailcom (remove the pleasedontspam- and of course add the @ and the . in their respective places :P)

Also if you are part of mailing lists or groups in the area, pass the info around.

No comments:

Post a Comment