Thursday, March 12, 2009

Remote Desktops

So this isn't really security related but I want to keep up on this blog so I figured I would put down some things I found today. I'm not sure how many of you use the Remote Desktops MMC to connect to multiple Windows boxes. I like the idea of having all of my connections in one place but man do I hate that you cannot sort them or group them in any way.

That said, I found some tools that add some nice features. RoyalTS (http://www.code4ward.net/main/) and Visionapp Remote Desktop 2009 (http://www.visionapp.com/). Now I haven't used both for very long, only today actually, but here are my findings so far.

I really like RoyalTS 6.1. It has a kick butt feature of being able to pull computer management, event log and more from a right click menu. You can also add your own custom WIMC commands to add too the toolset. The biggest problem with 6.1 is that it's $30 bucks! I'm having trouble justifying spending money on a tool like this. The free version is limited to only 10 connections and with more than 100 servers to connect to, not very helpful.

Visionapp is very nice in the user interface arena. It is easy to group your connections into logical folders. RoyalTS does this too but it is a little less pretty. One of the best features this one has over the RoyalTS is that you can import the systems via AD query. This made it a cake walk to pull all of the needed systems into one place. Alas no tool set.

It's quite odd that I have immediately set the bar for the need of a wimc toolset in such a tool when only this morning I barely had a place to connect to multiple systesm from one place :) More to come after a full evaluation. If any of you know of like applications, especially free, let me know in a comment!

Curt

No comments:

Post a Comment