Monday, August 24, 2009

Personal Identification Disclosure

So I have been looking to rent a new place as I moved back to the DC metro area. What I have found is an exuberant amount of people that are asking for a ridiculous amount of personal information. They are asking for SSN, checks which would obviously include account and routing information, and I even had one person asking to set up the ability for them to auto charge my account for the monthly rent and yet another asking for a photocopy of 2 picture IDs and my SSN card!

I have probably found myself looking for this stuff more and more lately but I find this outrageous. My general question is; Am I being over paranoid or is it correct of me to deny them these things? It’s bad enough that I need to keep thieves from gaining access to this via my personal space, but now I need to put reliance on these people, which most are arguably ignorant about computer and general security, from getting hacked and exposing my information.

What ways are there to get around this? Obviously I see their side of wanting this information, but they should understand this side as well. Explaining this to them is quite difficult though unless they have been a victim of such a crime. I thought about running the credit checks myself and scrubbing the information and just denying the existence of a personal checking account. Any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment