Thursday, June 4, 2009

iPhone fun

OK so it has been a while since I have posted. As some of you may already know, this is mainly because I am working back in the DC area. I am on a couple week contract as surge support in a NOC move. We shall see what happens after that.

So while on this contract I was given an iPhone to be contacted. I found this a great chance for me to see just how cool it was. Sure I have played with them before but not at the length of time that I have it for now. So far, I'm a fan. There are a lot of little cool apps that I find handy. It seems that the free ones have their downfalls sometimes but heck some of the good ones are only .99 cents! The best thing I have experienced with it is web browsing. I have a Samsung Omnia, this was as close as I could get to an iPhone on Verizon at this time. I like the Omnia but to be honest web browsing isn't easy enough to make me want to do it all of the time. It's a nice to have feature that I have used but mainly I use it for email and tethering. For those things, it rocks.

The iPhone, however, makes browsing a fun experience. It is so useful that I do it all of the time now. I attribute this to the way the browser resizes. Opera mobile has some of this ability but no where near the level that Safari does on this guy. It's also helpful to have normal headset jack. The Omnia requires an adapter which is a pain to carry. This guy just plugs up with your normal earbuds which makes it much more attractive. With that in mind, it makes me want to listen to more podcasts like the SANS storm center daily and pauldotcom weekly. I also purchased a nice RSS reader that imported my opal list of RSS feeds. The reader formats it nice and keeps me busy when I'm waiting for stuff.

Overall I'm happy with the device. I'm not a fan of AT&T still as I have complete dead zones on the phone when my Omnia is happy tethering me away at full 3G speeds. I will say though, if Verizon does get to offer the iPhone next year, I'm on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment