Thursday, June 11, 2009

Life on a Mac

Well, I finally got my new Mac. In short, I'm really happy with it. I haven't had much time to actually play with it because of other things I have needed to do. So far though I am very happy with it. Yes happy enough that I will probably not purchase a PC laptop for the purpose of my personal use again! I have converted.

The major thing I'm trying to figure out is which way to go with virtualization. I have installed Parallels because I have seen some interesting things as far as it's interaction with the OS. Being able to just launch necessary Windows applications from the system and have it in a window like any other app is nice. I'm a big fan of VMWare so fusion it is obviously my other choice. I have a 14 day trial of Parallels and then I will attempt a trial of Fusion. I'm going to give them both a shot before I make my decision. With that siad though, that makes my complete move to the Mac not done yet. I still have the Dell close at hand. Mainly all of my email is in Outlook and my bookmarks are still on there. I do have data which needs to be moved still as well but those are about the only reason I'm not completely switched.

I have not moved Outlook over because I am not sold on a particular virtual application yet. I know Mac has the built in Mail client, maybe I'll switch to that too but I'm not sure yet. I choose to install Windows 7 in the virtual environment. So far to me it is pretty much Vista. It does seem to run well and there are some dialog box changes and some sort of change in workgroup that makes it almost seem domain like with a password for access and such. All of that investigation will be for anoher day. Anyway, short post, I just wanted to update. I still have plans on testing out the password tools this weekend and I will post the results here.

No comments:

Post a Comment